Tuesday, February 13, 2007

What is it?

What is it...

with HR professionals and Cats?

The wicked VP - HR in Dilbert is a cat.

I am a HR guy, I love cats.

This is much like the conversation I had the other day with a researcher. Helped me get my frame in place.

My thought was a corollary of an article in TOI. The article spoke about employees with a 'bad' attitude. Out of my experience, I knew that more often than not, this titled is splotched on employees who seem to have a low tolerance to show of authority. Sounds familiar? You bet!!

Read up on Hofstede's 5 dimensions and one finds that he defines power-distance bottom up not top down. That is, the tolerance that a person / society has towards others exhibiting power-distance. I have put it very loosely described. Read up more on what he has written when you have time.

Coming back, I proposed a hypothesis on my thought - employees branded as having 'bad attitude' more often than not seem to have a low power distance. The researcher's perspective on this disproved it in a minute. How? Think about it and leave a comment. Will tell you if you are on track.

Siddhu

No comments: